Friday 6th October is World Smile Day. World Smile Day was started by Harvey Ball, the guy who created the original emoji – the smiley face. Harvey believed the world should devote one day to smiles and kind acts. The smiley face knows no politics, no geography and no religion, and Harvey hoped that for at least one day each year, neither should we.
You couldn’t be blamed these days for feeling like there isn’t much to smile about. I mean, house prices, the same sex marriage debate, climate change, oh yeah, and WWIII seems imminent… But we think the world needs a little more joy right now, so we want to convince you to smile, smile, smile! Here are a few reasons why:
- Internationally, frowns are recognised as sadness or disapproval, whereas smiles are viewed as a sign of friendliness (bear in mind if we get invaded…)
- Throw away your foundation! Studies have found that 70% of people think smiling is more attractive than make up.
- Fake it till you make it. Smiling boosts your immune system, reduces stress and lifts your mood. Forcing yourself to smile, even when you don’t feel like it, immediately releases endorphins that make you healthier and happier.
- More contagious than a cold. Seeing someone else smile suppresses our control over our facial muscles, and we can’t help but smile in return.
- Grown ups smile around 20 times a day, while children smile around 400 times per day. Babies are born with the ability to smile – smiling is not a learnt expression. Babies even smile while in the womb.
- Need more cash? Smile at work. People who smile at work are more likely to be promoted because they seem happy, approachable and confident.
- Researchers in the US studied yearbook photos and were able to predict future states of success, happiness and well being. The people with the biggest smiles at school, ranked the highest.
- Put down that Toblerone! Studies have found that smiling stimulates our brain’s reward mechanism. One smile provides the same level of brain stimulation as up to 2,000 chocolate bars.
So this Friday flash those pearly whites, get all crinkly eyed, and smile till your face hurts!
The world needs you!
Ovae's Resident Blogger x
All images courtesy of Pinterest.